Is garage floor paint the answer? Out of all the spaces in houses or commercial buildings, garage floors tend to take the most beatings over time. With cars tracking in everything from snow, mud, dirt, rainwater, and other elements onto garage floorings, paired with harsh chemicals used in workshops, high foot traffic, oil spills, tools dropping, and other high impact occurrences, a bare garage floor can end up looking rough – full of cracks, stains and other forms of wear and tear. Even if the garage is cleaned thoroughly, it can still look dirty and worn, depending on how many miscellaneous stains and imperfections are present. That is why so many of us think let’s just paint the garage floor. But you may be surprised to learn that paint is actually one of the worst garage flooring options out there. In this blog, we would like to tell you why you shouldn’t paint your garage floor to get it looking spiffy again.
Paint Wears Off Easily
Just remember there is a reason we do not paint the floors of our home, paints were off easily. Even if you seal the floor after painting it the chemicals you have to work with to do this can be difficult and dangerous to work with. However, the sealers may not stand up to the daily wear and tear a garage floor experiences. Painting is messy and the prep work is difficult and if you don’t do it right the results can be less than stellar.
Garages Generate Dust
You can sweep the floor and get the big things like leaves and other debris but really the garage floor is just self-perpetuating dust and dirt factory, paint chips turn into dust. Garages generate dust from a combination of dead insect material, dead skin cells. If you have paint you will also have the added paint dust. The normal dust your body is equipped to handle but it is not designed to deal with acrylic paint dust. You are inhaling those microscopic particles. It could cause health problems especially for people with sensitive allergies or asthma.
Paint For Garages Is Not A Good Financial Decision
In fact, it is a waste of money. If you do it, no matter how hard you try, your paint job will last at most 1 year before it needs to be repainted. Let’s take a look at how much it cost to paint a 400 square foot garage. The paint will cost about $50.00 gallon. and consider the time and effort to clean that floor and empty the garage to get ready to put another coat of paint on the floor. The painted floor looks shabby in about 6 months and starts to wear and chip. It is just not worth the time and effort and expense of paint.
Painting Can Be a Difficult Job
Preparation is the key to success but it is a lot of work. You will begin by patching any holes or cracks so you have a smooth, level surface. Then you have to tape off your baseboards and walls to make sure no paint gets spattered on them. Then you need to sand the floor to give the paint something to stick to. Getting a nice even coat of paint on the floors is not something just anyone can do. It’s is also very hard to keep everything and everybody, including pets, off the floor while the garage door is open to allow the paint to dry.
There Is a Better Way
Concrete coatings are the answer! Signature Coatings’ system reliably outperforms similar products on the market. Installation is generally completed in only 1 DAY and our coatings provide a variety of key benefits…
- Custom Design – Choose from an array of multi and solid color systems to customize your floor to complement your home’s style.
- Enhanced Safety – The unique orange-peel texture and anti-skid surface options built into our garage flooring systems provide added protection against slips and falls.
- Extreme Durability – Resistant to chemicals, abrasions, and impact, your new flooring will have what it takes to hold up to the toughest applications.
- Fast Installation – We know your time is valuable, so our certified installers can get your garage floor coating ready for use in just 24 hours.
- Style – The vinyl chips can be custom-blended into nearly any color, allowing your new garage floor to match your existing décor!
- Durability – Our chip system uses polyurea – a material that’s much stronger and more flexible than epoxy and is resistant to abrasions, chemicals, and UV damage.
- Convenience – Our chip flooring can be installed in as little as one day by Signature Coatings’ trained and certified flooring experts.
- Warranty – We have a limited lifetime warranty on residential projects – so you won’t ever have to worry about the long-term quality of your floor.
Our Featured Work
View Our Featured Work on Patios, Pool Decks, Basements, Decks, Bathrooms, Porches, and much more!
Contact Us (513-993-6800) to learn more or get a quote!
About Signature Coatings
Signature Coatings is the premier floor coating systems provider in Greater Cincinnati. Our custom floor coating systems are of exceptional style and quality. Inside or outside, your transformed concrete will stay beautiful and durable for decades.
>> Learn More