Covering your concrete garage floor can create a more esthetically pleasing look. Taking time to compare floor coatings can save you money and time. Learn a few mistakes so you will make good choices and have a great floor coating.
When you start your shopping for coating services, you will find different options to choose from.
- Full chip or Decorative chip: This material is 20 times stronger than epoxy and resists UV exposure. It has a quick cure time and provides an anti-slip surface. It is resistant to oil, gas, salt, and grease
- Solid Color Concrete Sealer: This material seals while adding a fresh, new color to concrete surfaces and is available in many colors. It is a pure acrylic resin stain formulated especially for concrete surfaces and provides 100% opaque coverage. It will completely cover old marks and stains from tires, dried oil spots, other chemical spills, water stains, and many others.
- Self-Leveling Epoxy-100: Serves as a primer/basecoat for a multitude of floor finishing systems. SLE-100 is also self-leveling and serves as a build coat for heavily damaged floors.
Ask The Right Questions
Prepare a list of questions. It will help you organize your thoughts. The questions will help determine the company’s level of expertise. Following are a few suggestions.
- Is this coating made of environmentally friendly material?
- What brand do you use?
- Are you insured?
- Are your employees certified to apply coatings?
- Is your coating rated Zero or Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds)?
- Can your coatings meet the EPA certification?
- How do they prep the existing floor prior to installation?
- Can I have a copy of your warranty?
Set A Budget
It usually costs $4 to $12 per square foot to epoxy a concrete floor. Most homeowners spend between $1,750 and $3,000 with an average cost of $2,250 to complete a full project. The size of your project and the quality of epoxy is the biggest cost.
Choose The Correct Coating For Your Project
Your main question about durability should be chipping, cracking, and wear and tear. You want to know:
- Is it resistant to chemicals?
- How easy is it to clean?
- Will it withstand the cleaning of oil, motor fluid, and gasoline?
- I live in an area where road salt is used in the winter, will it resist salt on the tires?
- Is your product a “single solid” fully bonded layer that resists peeling?
Climate Affects the Application Process
Make sure your application is applied when it is no colder than 50 degrees. Typically, temperatures higher than 90 degrees may cause the materials to become tacky and difficult to apply.
Make sure that all work to be completed is in writing when you have decided on hiring a specific company. Go to see a few jobs the company has completed recently. The contracts should have all specifics necessary to perform the job. Do not trust in merely a handshake to ensure your job will be finished. If important, you can request the contractor to provide a timeline consisting of a beginning and a finish date. Review your contract carefully, paying close attention to any service warranties that are included with your new concrete garage floor.
Contact Us (513-993-6800) to learn more or get a quote!
About Signature Coatings
Signature Coatings is the premier floor coating systems provider in Greater Cincinnati. Our custom floor coating systems are of exceptional style and quality. Inside or outside, your transformed concrete will stay beautiful and durable for decades.